Tuesday, July 27, 2010

My Bus

I started and ran a small t-shirt company around 2001 - 2002 called ZigZag Tees and I got the bright idea that it would be cool to have an old VW as a company vehicle.  Of course there would be the added benefit of being able to play with it as well, what a fun toy!

Somehow, I convinced my wife that this was a good idea and the search began.  I found a picture of a 1967 split window bus on the buletin board of the local VW repair shop, called the owner and found that he had sold the bus but the engine had blown up on the way to deliver it to the new owner.  That deal fell through and he had the bus towed to a local mechanic where it was still sitting. 

The bus looked great but had no motor, I fell in love.  A deal was struck for $2,000 and I towed it home.  After a newly rebuilt 1600 dual port motor was dropped in, (this makes it all sound so easy, I had to install it myself and that is really never as easy as you think it is going to be), I got to drive it for the first time.









These pictures were taken after I had done a lot of work on the bus, new rear bumper, new roof rack, new transmission, lowered and new interior.










We had so many fun times in this bus.








I eventually got tired of fixing the bus and put it up for sale.  After putting about $10,000 into it, I sold it for $8,000.  Nice investment huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment